29 Chinese workers kidnapped in Sudan have arrived in Nairobi, capital of Kenya. They were taken captive by rebels from the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement last month. Among the 18 people who fled the scene, one was confirmed dead days after being reported missing. His body has been handed over to Chinese embassy officials in Sudan.
A moment long in the making - 29 Chinese workers are scheduled to touch down on the soil of their motherland, 12 days after they were abducted.
The workers were released by local rebels on Tuesday, after meditation by the International Committee of the Red Cross, whose chartered plane has taken them to Nairobi.
Liu Guangyuan, Chinese Ambassador to Kenya, said, "The Chinese embassy is fully prepared to accommodate 29 workers, and to ensure them a good stay at Nairobi."
This is the largest overseas rescue effort in the country’s history. Rescuers have been working around the clock since the attack occurred.
Qiu Xuejun, China Task Force leader, said, "Staff members from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and Chinese embassies in Sudan, South Sudan and Kenya have worked overnight over these days. It is a good conclusion to our efforts that Chinese workers are secure now."
Before returning home, the workers spent one night in Nairobi at the Chinese Embassy. Sun Shiwei, Sinohydro Group, said, "I am relieved, because I can go home soon." All of the freed workers are currently in sound physical condition.